Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

February--Why Not?

Why not
take the chance
go for it
make the best of it
take your time
have fun
take a risk
go against the grain
make it the time of your life
take the plunge
have the guts to do it all

you miss all the shots you don't take

so don't look back
no regrets
live in the now
don't ask how
the future isn't set

time is of the essence
life is for living
restraint is the past
you are here
it is now
go.


This is a carpe diem poem that I wrote for February. That was the month where I started branching out more, making new friends, being more sociable. In the first stanza, the first word of the lines repeat: take, go, make, take, have, take, go, make, take, have. The repetition gives the poem more structure and drills in the idea of rising to a challenge and not worrying about the past. There is a rhyme scheme of abccb in the second last stanza which makes the poem flow better and a little rhythm. For the longest time, I was easily intimidated and was always staying within some safe little boundaries I set up for myself. It was rather boring and monotonous and not good because I never tried anything new. I sheltered myself and as a consequence, did not have many different experiences. I think that trying new things is very important, may it be new foods, activities, or even just making new friends.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you connected it to your experiences. Also, the short, choppy sentences make the poem an exciting read instead of having it feel like a teacher is saying this to you. I love the use of common, well known sayings such as "you miss all the shots you don't take" because it grounds the poem in something real and relatable. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first encounter with a carpe diem poem, and i'm definitely liking what i'm seeing. At first I was questioning your lack of punctuation but I see now that the poem is meant to be read/spoken without pause because as one of your line says: "time is of the essence" and saying it all as one sentence complements that theme.

    ReplyDelete